Monday 3 November 2014

And finally...

the weather has returned to what it should be at this time of year.

Chilly, windy, raining.

Just in time for the week when we have two more walks in the countryside  [sigh].  We had splendid weather for the last one, but I don't think that these are going to be quite as nice.  Ah well, it IS November, what do we really expect?

The birds have been feasting especially hard on our bird tables too.  We don't get much variety of birds - starlings (which I love), sparrows, doves and wood pigeons are the main regulars, but in the last few weeks a robin has moved in too.

 
I am really pleased with this, considering I took it through the kitchen window - and he was gone half a second later.
 
But I can't help loving starlings...

 
There is something very sinister about them - they are certainly aggressive little buggers!  I fell in love with starlings when I was about 17.  I had my first proper job - at the Uni I now work at to be precise - and during my lunch break I would sit in the Cathedral grounds, eat my sandwiches and feed the birds.  Pigeons were there in vast numbers, but it was the starlings that caught my attention, darting in and out of the mass of pigeons to grab lunch before the bigger birds ate it all.
 
Sparrows do a similar thing to the starlings...

 
although we make sure the tables are well stocked (assorted seed, fat balls and meal worms) so there is not really any need for them to panic.
 
Well, it is games evening tonight, so I had better get moving! 
 
More soon!

4 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

I admit. At first I couldn't understand why you would like starlings. But you've totally convinced me of their likability.
November weather has made its way here as well. Not great for countryside walks, but it does make for good running. Perhaps you can try that?
Hope you're having fun gaming!

Abby said...

Like Shadowrun, until now I've not been too impressed with starlings. Or sparrows either for that matter. But now, I'm warmed to them, thanks to you - their advocate! Great photos, and I'm glad you don't have to eat them ;)

terri said...

Our weather is turning colder too. It was inevitable.

We get a lot of small birds at our feeders. Every once in a while, the big, black crows will come and eat. They look so funny - too big for the feeders, really. But the squirrels are our main hassle. They chase the birds away and eat all of the food.

Riot Kitty said...

I'm impressed with your wildlife. Ours is all behind the wheel in my state.