Wednesday 13 November 2013

DOH 2 - the ordeal continues!

The day really did have to get better, didn't it?

The remainder of the morning was not that bad, but then lunchtime arrived - time to go and get the new inner tubes for the spare bike's flat tyre.

The shop had them, so with a spring in my step I went to a bakery to grab something to eat.  Hm, that pie looked good, I'll have that.

Heading back to work, I bit into the pie.

Mmmmmm.

Mmmmmm?

Erm...

Ugh....

Uh....

It tasted like someone had thrown up in it.

Nice.

Back to work, the afternoon progressed towards a planned early finish, which I managed but had to almost fight my way clear.  Then off to catch the bus.

All was good - I sat there reading my Kindle, earphones in, ignoring everyone.

Even the drunk who decided to sit right in front of me.

Even through my earphones I could hear him declaring that he was Elvis, and was worried that all the girls would want to kiss his toothless mouth.

He went on.

And on.

And on.

Part way home, one of our ex-students got on the bus, so she sat with me and we chatted.  I put away the Kindle and earphones and we caught up on things.  She is doing well, I was pleased to hear.

The drunk tried to get in on the conversation, but we carefully avoided letting him get involved, I was getting an increasingly bad feeling about him, seeming less and less harmless as we continued the trip and he drank more and more of whatever was in his bottle.

Then it happened - the bus took a sharp turn, sending the drunk flying.

He laid there, moaning about how badly hurt he was. A young lad offered to help him but got a mouthful of abuse.  So he stayed on the floor, saying the driver had done it deliberately, and he needed compensation for his injuries.

Then the trip was made longer because a cyclist had been squished while riding around a mess of roundabouts on the edge of town.  Not nice to see him being strapped into a body brace....

He finally got up and after mouthing off at the driver for a while he got off at the bus station, going to tell the management about his ordeal.  A couple of us wrote our contact details on some paper and gave them to the driver - we would back him up if things got nasty with this guy's complaint.

Finally we reached my stop.  Sheesh!

A quick sandwich and change of clothes and it was off to the school for prize-giving - younger son had won the Maths prize!  Woo hoo!  Let's hope that things are all good from here!

8 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

Oh no! I can't believe it actually got worse!
Well at least it's ending on a great note. Congrats to your youngest son on the Math award! You must be so proud!

terri said...

You are not making a good case for the bus! And I used to complain that when I took the bus in to work, I always ended up having to sit in front of the woman who barked like a dog. (She had some issues, obviously.)

Rock Chef said...

ShadowRun300 - very proud of our son, he is doing great (top of the class at most things) without breaking a sweat. Wonder what he can do when he really gets going!

Terri - I can take honest craziness all day long, some would say I have to! :-)

agg79 said...

Wow. It REALLY wasn't your day yesterday. Good thing you can handle all that crazy. I hope today turns out a bit better.

Abby said...

I've opted for the bus a couple of times this month and have been pleasantly surprised at how polite the other riders are. I'm hoping "Elvis" is an exception from the Norm.
Congrats on the math prize!!

Rock Chef said...

Agg79 - Today has been worse, but hopefully past the worst now...

Abby - Elvis is definitely not the norm - he even made me feel sorry for a bus driver, for heaven's sake!

Riot Kitty said...

Lovely! I hope the sandwich tasted better than the pie.

meleah rebeccah said...

Oh my word!!