Monday 23 September 2013

Weekend

I am not really sure where the weekend went to.  I don't think I did anything major, but it felt busy and I woke up this morning feeling that I needed another weekend!

I DID do a bit of cooking, though.

On Saturday, I made Feta Ravioli. 



It was wonderful, and reminded us of Malta.  Of course, it was the memory of Feta Ravioli from Malta that inspired me to make it in the first place!  The kids loved it too, especially our younger son who is on a fitness kick and was happy when he read that feta is actually pretty good for you!

Sunday I cooked a lump of pork - slow roasted a roasting bag with a home made marinade  - from memory it was soy sauce, 5 Spices, ginger, sugar, black pepper, chili powder,  paprika and a squirt of sweet barbecue sauce for luck.  It more or less fell apart when we tried to slice it.  Mmmmmm.

I did Noodles and stir fry vegetables to go with it.  There was also home made naan bread.  Until recently I had only had the shop-bought version of this. 

Nice enough.  But then, a few weeks ago when I went to London for that weekend of wargaming, I had the fresh stuff.  Ooh yeah, that was how it was supposed to be!  So I got together the ingredients and worked away - a few extra ingredients, but generally no different to making normal bread or pizza bases.  They only took 10 minutes to bake, so I was cooking them right along side the vegetables and noodles - when they came out of the oven I brushed them with melted butter and cut them into pieces.  So good I forgot to take a photo!  OK, strictly speaking, naan bread should go with curry and not stirfry, but it was still great and I can't wait to make more next time we DO have curry...

Maybe I will remember to take a photo next time too...

9 comments:

ShadowRun300 said...

I know that feeling of forgetting to take pics of food. When it looks SO good, you just wanna dig in. (You'll see proof on my next blog post.)
I have a recipe for naan bread that I've been thinking of trying, but I shy away from breads. Not sure why. Sounds like it was quick and easy??
Your family is lucky you love to cook and try new things. My family gets chicken. And only once in a great while.

Rock Chef said...

ShadowRun300 - Yes, it was very quick and easy - the most time consuming bit was waiting for the dough to rise!

Your family also gets CAKE! Don't do yourself down! :-)

meleah rebeccah said...

OMG. Feta Ravioli is one of my FAVORITE foods ON EARTH!

Rock Chef said...

Meleah Rebeccah - Yes, I can see why! I can see it becoming a regular with us too, even the boys loved it!

Riot Kitty said...

Oooooooooooooh ravioli!! Wish I didn't have the problem with dairy. NOM NOM NOM!

lotta joy said...

The "lump of pork" ended up sounding delicious with the marinade. But you neglected to say how long it took to get it tender in the oven.

Grocery list: lump of pork. lol

Rock Chef said...

Riot Kitty - Can't you have any pasta, or is it just the filling that would cause problems?

Lotta Joy - I cooked it at 160C for about 2 and a half hours, then rested it for 15 mins before opening the bag and asking Mrs RC to slice it. How else do you buy pork? I always buy it by the "lump"!

terri said...

Mmmm! Your ravioli looks delicious! And the rest of it sounds delicious! It always sounds like meals are such a celebration in your family - really bringing the family together, the way it should be.

agg79 said...

The ravioli looks delicious! Way better than the fish & chips I had last week. You've got me jonesing for some pasta this weekend.