Monday 5 September 2011

Autumn is here...


Despite the clear blue sky and bright sunshine, there was a definite bite to the wind this morning.

As I cycled to work, the southwesterly wind brought alternating bands of blue sky and rain-laden cloud - luckily the clouds seemed happy to save their rain for another target, so I arrived dry if wind-swept...

And it was not just me that noticed the change in the weather - many of the trees are turning various shades of red, gold and brown, and our rabbits seem to be fattening themselves up for the winter too, eating incredible amounts of food!  By the way, we got a second opinion on the sex of our baby rabbits and they are both boys!  So, the latest plan is to avoid risky operations and just divide the run into two - a boys section and a girls section.  This will work so long as the boys don't start fighting.  If they do we will have to rethink our plans...

The change in the weather has now got my stomach thinking in terms of the slow-cooker - of stew and dumplings that have been bubbling away for hours - the sort of food where you can feel the goodness seeping into you as you eat it, the sort that warms you deep down, the sort of food that doesn't need fancy ingredients from half way around the world...

You know, I am looking forward to the cold weather?

6 comments:

kenady said...

I too have been thinking about cooler weather:) But just cool enough to sit on our back deck w/out sweating or getting eaten by the mosquitoes. I should be savoring the heat, as I am sure we won't experience anything quite like it while on our adventure to Germany!

Looking forward to reading if your rabbit plans work out:)

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

The nights are nice here and the humidity is down.

terri said...

We had very similar weather here yesterday. Today the sun is bright but the temps are still cool. I always feel a little bit of sadness as summer fades away, but once fall is in full swing, I love it.

I must be in the same frame of mind. With the cool weather and long weekend, I was more inclined to cook indoors than I have been in weeks.

Hope your rabbit solution works out!

Anonymous said...

Your post makes me yearn for fall, but not the cold weather that comes once the leaves have all fallen. We won't see weather like yours until mid-November!

I retired from teaching public school four years ago. I now teach in a private preschool part-time, just three days a week. Just right! I teach 4 year olds, whew. They keep me young, I guess, as do my grandchildren. I was horsey all weekend and now my back hurts from giving rides!

CiCi said...

Two boy bunnies would take the pressure off to get them fixed. Whew.

I too have been checking out recipes for the slow cooker the past week. I have to wear socks and long pants now, too chilly in shorts. When fall arrives it does so quickly.

Shrinky said...

Eeee, I do love it when you talk all meaty, like that! Stew and dumplings, yummmmmmmm. (Um, but not RABBIT stew, naturally..)

Yeah, the season is a-changing, it's time again to stack away those sun-lounger's, well unless we're treated to an Indian summer, (I'm an eternal optimist)finger's crossed.