Tuesday 12 April 2011

A Pox on Virus Writers!

At around 8.30 last night, just as I was contemplating a bath and early night, my daughter declared that her laptop had some sort of virus.

Turns out she fell for the old pop-up virus alert which then got in past the antivirus etc. 

I battled it until 1am, cleaning up, downloading new stuff etc but it was all in vain.

I brought it to work with me today and have had it chugging away next to me, reinstalling everything from scratch.

If I meet a virus writer today he had better watch out...

8 comments:

terri said...

Oooh... I HATE that! I've had to pay extra to our Virus Protection provider just to get stuff like this repaired.

Dave King said...

What is it about virus writing that gives them their sad kicks?

Rock Chef said...

Terri - I think we have been lucky at home - this is our first big hit...

Dave King - Well all I can say is they must have very dull lives - how much time must it take to write something like that for goodness sake?

Anonymous said...

Something similar happened to me a short while back. I used System Restore to "rewind" my machine to two pays prior to the virus attack. All is well now. Didn't take very long either.

Rock Chef said...

wigsf - I tried that but I still had no internet access. Glad it worked for you!

agg79 said...

I think any sick b#$^@*d who creates a virus ought to be strapped to a chair and made to watch all of the Barney videos on an endless loop. We spend too much money and time trying to protect from these stupid attacks. Sometimes, I think all this technology is not a good thing.

Rock Chef said...

Agg79 - What a wonderful punishment!

The Moody Minstrel said...

I agree. Virus authors are among the few I would subject to that kind of brain-melting cruelty.