Thursday 27 January 2011

Is it just me?

I need to buy a copy of MS Office and have looked up prices.

The best deal I can find is £78 to use it on 3 different PCs.  This is an internet price.

The same company charges £99.99 in its stores.

However, if I use the website to order it and then choose to collect and pay at the store I only pay £78, the internet price.

Is it just me, or is this dumb?


Just had a further thought.  This company has a price guarantee - if you find something cheaper they will undercut that price by 10%.  Can I challenge the store to undercut their own internet price?  Probably not, but it might be fun to try - just to make a point...

7 comments:

agg79 said...

Not all that uncommon. We have a chain of electronic stores over here called Fry's. One of the mega stores for all kinds of electronics stuff (computers, tvs, phones, cameras, etc.). They usually have some great deals, but you can always order the same stuff on line. Many times the price on line is cheaper, but they will not match that price in the store (claiming it's an on line transaction). Not sure of the logic of this system. Maybe it is to generate internet sales. And if they sell on line, they don't need to pay those pesky sales people...

CiCi said...

If you buy online do you also have shipping charges?

Rock Chef said...

Agg79 - I am tempted to think that these companies want to shift their trade to online and close the shops - I hate that idea, to be honest!

TechnoBabe - With this company you only paid shipping if you wanted ultra fast delivery.

tz said...

ooh i think you should try it and report back to us if it worked! and expirement in consumerism. you could write a paper :D
and I agree, it is dumb.

Rock Chef said...

tz - I will mention it when I go to collect my stuff...

Shrinky said...

Ha, I'd love to see the sales person's face when you pose that question! It's only since I moved away from London that I seriously discovered on-line shopping. There are some major UK stores who offer free postage even to our off-shore island, and it gives me the variety of choice which would normally be very limited on this tiny rock.

I hate shopping, anyway. Aside from saving money, anything that gets me out of plugging around the shops in person has got to be worth it's weight in gold!

terri said...

Of course that's dumb! Somehow though, I'm not surprised. Can't wait to hear what you finally end up paying.