Wednesday 1 December 2010

Talkin' 'bout my generation!

OK, I will spare you the obvious YouTube clip and get straight on to the story.

I was talking to one of the students today.  They have got a group assignment to do and she was saying how her group was great because of the range of people in it.

There was her - educated, intelligent...

There was B - typical student who likes a good party.

There was C - the middle aged guy.

There was D - the older guy.


I laughed.

"I love your perception of age."

"What?"

"C is middle aged?  Love it.  He must be all of 25."

"Yeah."

Hm.  I am more or less the same age as D, making me another "older guy"...

OK I'll take it, I'm a man.  Nothing worse than an old guy thinking he is still 19.

Or is there?  Let me know if you can think of something!

******************************************

PS Do you ever find that you suddenly start using a word that you have rarely used before?

My new word is "spartan" - I used it twice in the assignment that I just finished (YAY ME!!!!) and also just used it in a comment on someone's blog!  Maybe that will be my new name - The Spartan Rock Chef!

5 comments:

agg79 said...

How about an old guy with kids and a menagerie of pets who can remember days back before there was the internet or phones without buttons? We all get older and the "kids" keep getting younger. Whenever pushed, I just remind some of "kids" that I have boots older than they are.

Spartan: a. Rigorously self-disciplined or self-restrained. b. Simple, frugal, or austere: a Spartan diet; a spartan lifestyle. c. Marked by brevity of speech; laconic. d. Courageous in the face of pain, danger, or adversity. Which one are you going for?

Me? I am more into Curmudgeon.

terri said...

Worse than the old guy who thinks he's 19? How about the old GIRL who still thinks SHE'S 19?

I have not suddenly started using any new words recently, though I should. I've subscribed to the word of the day and get a new one in my email every day! You would think this would improve my vocabulary, but I just read them and go back to the same old words.

James said...

Hi RC long time no speak. Had a lot going on. Like the profile picture.

Shrinky said...

I never believed my old gran, when she told me she was still as young as I was, in her head. Now? I know exactly what she was talking about (sigh).

Frig, this getting old business can really suck sometimes!

Rock Chef said...

Agg79 - "Courageous in the face of pain, danger, or adversity" sounds like me! :-)

Terri - Yes, that can be pretty bad!

James - Hi! Great to see you! Hope the goings on have been good. Must catch up!

Shrinky - Old? Who's getting old? :-)