Thursday 9 December 2010

Busy...

Sorry for my poor showing this week.  Catching up on the snow days has tended to wipe out breaks at the beginning of the week and yesterday I had a short day.  My youngest had to go for an orthodontist check up so I had to go home to look after Suzie-Pickle, or as she is being increasingly called, Frou-Frou.  I have a feeling that this will end up being her real name - it really suits her.

Most of the snow is long gone, but there are still patches here and there - the temperature is hanging around freezing, meaning that my nose is getting very cold...

Christmas in under way at last - I have actually bought some presents and the decorations are going up this weekend, suitably altered to make them puppy-proof, of course.

Today is a big day in the UK - today is the day that our University fees become the most expensive in the world while the politicians try to convince everyone that they are actually getting cheaper.  Of course, the real killer is that half of the current government was elected on the promise that University fees would be totally abolished!  Changes like that should be against the law, IMO.

Ah well, onwards and upwards!

7 comments:

terri said...

Good luck with the pet-proof decorating! Seems we've always had to do some sort of "proofing" with our decorating; first due to young children, then a puppy and ever since... cat proofing. The lower portion of our tree always holds the unbreakable decorations. The tree skirt has always been a favorite "bed" for the cats.

Scary how the cost of an education continues to skyrocket. I feel the pain of the students every day as they try desperately to cover their annual costs. Interest rates on loans are high and here, there's talk of the government removing the interest subsidy from one of the federal student loans. Yet another blow to students in the government's effort to get a grip on their deficit. Sucks.

agg79 said...

Have fun decorating for the holidays! Trying to pup proof the Christmas tree is much like trying to kid proof the house. There is always something they'll find to explore/chew/destroy. I'm sure that Suzie-Pickle/Frou-Frou will have a new name by the time the holidays are over.

Understand the frustration/angst over the cost of college. Our costs have been growing exponentially over here and to get in a "decent" school, you wind up going into debt for years/decades. I am grateful that we only one child in college and he is on his last year. But, thankfully, the government is stepping in to "fix" the problem. Remember, there is no situation that your government cannot make worse.

Rock Chef said...

Terri - At least the puppy can't climb like a cat! I hate to think of how much debt my kids are going to get into :-(

Agg79 - Hm, yes she does get called a few other names even now! I think my two boys will do Uni, not sure about my daughter. I can just see her going out and getting a job doing something that she enjoys.

Kiki said...

I have been watching the gatherings of protestors on the news and it all looked civil this morning, I heard there was some throwing of rocks at your police....but when they turned the cameras on all was quiet, mostly just milling about.

That said, I STILL have not finished college because of the cost....it is so expensive and every year the costs rise.....I don't know how kids without jobs can afford to go....I'd have to keep working just to stay on top of paying for it!!!

Hope all is well and the new puppy is settling in and everyone is getting used to have that little bundle of fur around!!!

Stay safe!!!

Unknown said...

:) Good luck on the decorations! Frou-frou?

Rock Chef said...

Kiki - I can only study now because I get it free - working in a Uni does have its benefits! The puppy has really settled well
and we are all enjoying having her around. Custard has to hide from time to time, though...

Shadowthorne - Yes, my wife started calling her that and it is sticking!

Anonymous said...

buy ativan buy lorazepam cheap - ativan 1 mg half life