Wednesday 20 October 2010

Only in the Blogosphere...



Shrinky was intrigued by a comment I made recently - I mentioned that some time ago I had been made an Honorary Girly.


Well, this is roughly how I remember it happening.


When I started blogging I attached myself to a group that was forming - one was a real life friend, the rest were "virtual" friends - mainly female, as it turned out.  Most of this group is nolonger blogging, sadly, but Terri is still here and Ali keeps threatening to blog again (I live in hope, but little else).


So, anyway, our early days of blogging involved sharing background stuff that we thought others might be interested in. 


I talked about how much I love being a parent, how I became "Mr Mom" when my wife had to be away for various reasons - looking after relatives being the most common, but there was also the time just after our first daughter was born when my wife got bilateral mastitis and almost died.  In these times I take over running everything, and do a pretty good job, even if it does sound like I am bragging!


I talked about movies, the most relevant being Beaches (Bette Midler) and how I cry like a girl every time I watch it.








Hey, there I go again.

Meanwhile, in a group of mainly girls, lots of girly stuff got talked about - you name it, it appeared in print.

Now I can't remember the exact sequence of events, but at some point it was decided that given my relevant experience and qualifications (see above), it was OK for me to read all this stuff and I was made an Honorary Girly into the bargain.  I was assured that cramps and mood swings would follow, but I think that I dodged those...

So there you have it.  I don't think that many straight guys get that sort of award, and I am very proud of it!

12 comments:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Ali.....shame shame on her.

Rock Chef said...

wReggie - Maybe once things settle down for her we will see more of her again? Hope so.

CiCi said...

Good for you, welcome to the Girly club.

agg79 said...

Ok. I must have been asleep there, girly man. When did you change your title again?

If I cry at the end of Old Yeller, does that give me partial credit?

terri said...

I think it was Teresa who started the whole honorary girly thing. It was funny, but it was also sincere. We girls are proud to call you one of our own.

I vote that we give Agg a conditional membership to the club, but he's going to have to work at proving his feminine side if he wants to stay ;-)

Rock Chef said...

TechnoBabe - Thank you!

AGG79 - I changed the title yesterday or the day before - well spotted!

Terri - I think you are right, it was Teresa who started it -only right, I guess, given that she was one of the worst for talking about girly stuff in the first place! And I will second you on letting Agg in... :-)

The Moody Minstrel said...

I think I was given a similar "award" in my college days because, at one point, I actually had more female friends than male friends, and they said I tended to understand them better than a lot of fellow females did. I think some guys definitely questioned my sexual orientation at the time, but I enjoyed all the female attention. :-)

Rock Chef said...

Moody Minstrel - Sly old dog! I have got a friend who did ballroom dancing purely because there were 10 girls for every guy in the school...

Unknown said...

Wah! I wanna be Girly too. Ha ha ha!

My late father was a net ball coach, the only guy in the whole state. But he wasn't girly :)

Rock Chef said...

Shadowthorne - I think your plans for World Domonation rule you out - that is such a guy thing... :-)

Unknown said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! I can still be an Evil Girly Man!

Shrinky said...

Hahahaha, how did I miss this post? Brilliant, thanks for clearing that up for me. Gosh, you and Mrs. RC sure have been through a lot together, you certainly make for a strong, close-knit team.

Funny isn't it, it is almost always a compliment for a guy to be given a rare honourary girlie title, but if a girl is nominated as an honourary lad, it carries mostly negative connotations.. (wink)