Friday 26 June 2009

The new season is upon us!

No, not cricket, tennis or anything like that.

It is the start of the local summer wargames season!

During the summer, my group of wargaming friends take it in turn to host wargame parties, providing food, drink and a prepared wargame ready to go.

In the past we have had such things as vast battles in a garden, Gettysburg in a garage, a beleaguered British garrison trying to fight off the Fuzzy-Wuzzies and a Wild West game (featuring cowboys, outlaws, Mexican bandits, Indians and, of course, the Cavalry) with Tex-Mex food for dinner. These are great social occasions as well as great games.

Saturday sees us recreating the English Civil War, with King Charles desperately trying not to lose his head. My main challenge will be to find the guy's house without getting lost. Every year I end up taking the wrong turning and end up arriving late, to derision from the others. They seem to find the thought of a geographer getting lost very funny.

I am not totally sure what my game will be - better get working on it! My initial thought was to run a series of small games as a tournament, with a prize for the winner. Alternatively I might try for a game of Romans against the barbarians. We will see.

Have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Karie said...

My husband would love you. hahaha. I'm soaking up the silence while I can because as soon as he's home the games begin!

terri said...

It IS kind of funny... a geographer getting lost...

Have a GREAT time!

mmg said...

Most of this made no sense to me at all, but I hope you have fun!

:-)

Anonymous said...

Man...that sounds fun...the food and people and all anyway!

I'm w/ Terri...too funny about the geographer getting lost...

James said...

Sounds good John, I am sure you will come up with something.
For the first time I also have found a whole group of gamers,
We are having a game next week., SCW using some kind of Wildwest gunfight rules?

Marie said...

Have fun!

Rock Chef said...

Karie - Maybe you can get him blogging? He might enjoy it. Then I could also work on getting him into wargames. Painting soldiers is very relaxing.

Terri - I know it is. A great time was had!

Miss Minneapolis - Yes, I realised that this wasn't going to be my most accessible post...

Teresa - It was great. My genius DOES have its limits I guess ;-)

James - Sounds good. SCW is a difficult one to play. I guess that Wild West rules would be a good place to start! Just add weapons and vehicles as necessary.

Marie - Thanks, I did!