Wednesday 17 June 2009

4 Years Ago Today...

...we lost our eldest daughter.

She was an amazing, wonderful child. Despite having Dyspraxia (which affects coordination, balance, communication skills, etc. She also had trouble trouble telling when someone was lying - see below) she learned to ride a bike, skip, use one of those bouncy balls with a ring around it, skip on the bouncy ball, etc, etc. Of course, she fell off and injured herself a lot, but she had a gritty determination to succeed that puts most people to shame. She just got up, wiped away the blood and started again. This same attitude applied when she had her many "teen" arguments with us,making life very "interesting" at times!

Trouble at school meant that we pulled her from secondary education and taught her at home from the age of 11 to 16, not easy all of the time but truly rewarding when you got to see how much she had learnt. She then went to college where she truly showed off how clever she was. She was getting distinctions in her Business Studies course when she was taken ill.

She also had a small but dedicated group of friends, and went to a youth church group with them each week. She loved going, even though she disagreed with some of the stances that the group took - you may remember me talking about the gay issue and how she argued with them about that.

Like all girls, she had crushes on stars. Here are a few of her favourites...

How she loved Jason Donovan!



Later on, she took a shine to guys with eye makeup:



She also loved Good Charlotte http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQlgwke2eyU

Just before Christmas when she was around 15, she was probing for what her presents were. Mrs RC convinced her that we had kidnapped the singer from Good Charlotte and had wrapped him up. A few weeks after Christmas she remembered this and panicked, thinking he might have died in a cupboard somewhere! She nearly peed herself laughing when we told her that we hadn't really kidnapped him.

So today I am remembering the great things about her, the things that made her Sophie.

Have a great day, and give those you love a especially big hug!

8 comments:

agg79 said...

RC,

Thanks for sharing your bittersweet memories of Sophie. My words cannot convey our sorrow and sympathy to you and your family but I am glad you have shared her with us. Thanks for reminding us that life is short and we should love as much as possible.

Ali said...

Love you guys, Rock Chef. A hug for you all.

terri said...

Sounds like she was an amazing and wonderful girl... which is no surprise considering her amazing and wonderful parents.

Sending hugs your way.

Michele said...

CRC- I have no words to express my thoughts. Thanks for sharing your memories.
I just called my girls, since I can't hug them today.
Thanks for the reminder that life is precious.

mmg said...

How wonderful to have these memories of her. I'm sorry for your loss, but it sounds as though she lives on in you and with your family!

Jenelle said...

RC, once again your family is in my prayers. Thanks for sharing a bit of your daughter with us that never had the pleasure of knowing her...

Rock Chef said...

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

I was in a very bad place when I started blogging and I doubt I would be this good without you all.

It really does help to know that you are out there.

Thanks and God bless you.

Anonymous said...

You posted this when I was on hiatus so I missed it and I'm sad that I did.

I echo everyone else in saying Thank you for sharing a bit of your precious Sophie with us. She sounds so amazing. I'm so sorry this ever even happened RC. I remember when you first started blogging and how raw things still were for you. I prayed for you so much back then and I'm happy to see the amazing person you are today despire this aweful tradgedy. You never cease to continue to amaze me and you truely are one of my favorite people. Please give yourself a hug from me. :)