Friday 19 December 2008

Thankful at Christmas


I haven't done much in the way of Thankful blogs, so I decided to do one as my final post of the year. Let's see...

I am thankful for my blog friends. This January I will have been a proper blogger for 2 years - I flitted around reading some blogs before that, often getting confused with the names - Ali, Ali Kat, Terri, Logziella who some also called Teresa, then there was that sinister Mr Zig guy - but I worked it out in the end, and feel truly blessed to have found you all!

I am thankful for all of the wonderful memories that I have of my eldest daughter, especially of Christmases. This was her favourite time of year and the excitement would build up in her from late November. She could never sleep properly on Christmas Eve, making it really hard to deliver her stocking presents to the end of her bed, and always making Christmas morning a very early start. When she was 16 she woke up at 3am to find her stocking (actually a pillowcase) on her bed. She then joined us in our bed, opened a present and then tried to sleep until a slightly more civilized hour. She also never totally stopped believing in Santa Claus.

I am thankful for my fantastic wife who does everything she can to be the perfect mother for our children. I think she is the only woman in the world who could put up with my silliness when things are good and keep me sane when things are bad. I am truly blessed.

I am thankful for my wonderful children who always constantly amaze me with their brilliance and talent, kindness and generosity. I could not wish for better children.

I am thankful for my dog, Custard. He came to us at a time when we really needed a distraction, something to focus on and fuss - and he has played the part fantastically ever since. He is the perfect dog - he does not steal, doesn't chew things that are not his, he doesn't even pee in our garden! He loves us, guards us, and accepts our love and fuss without complaint. He has been a huge blessing for my family. And he is 3 years old on Sunday, so please wish him a very happy birthday! Yes, he will have presents, on both Sunday and Christmas Day.

Life is good!

Have a wonderful Christmas!

13 comments:

Reggie Hunnicutt said...

Custard. What an unusual name for a dog.

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas.

Rock Chef said...

Wreggie - Custard is a golden labrador - the name really fits him.

Teresa said...

Awe...that was super dooper sweet and I hope you know that I am thankful for you as well! Your constant support, friendship, and companionship (allbeit thru the computer) means a lot to me!

These posts always warm my heart to hear the love you have for your wife and children.

I hope you have a beautiful Christmas full of memories of Sophie and I hope Custard has an awesome birthday!

P.S.-Grover gets gifts on Christmas too! He even opens them by himself!

Ali said...

That was a fantastic list of things to be thankful for John - by far one of the best lists I've ever read :)
I will always be thankful for you as well! You were quite a wonderful find out of all the people out there on the internet!
Hope you have an utterly amazing Christmas, and Happy Birthday to Custard!!!

PS - So sorry that I didn't send your parcel early enough to be there for Christmas :( booo!

terri said...

I am so glad that our blogs brought us together as friends too. Has it really been two years already? You and I started out at about the same time. We're veterans now!

It is so uplifting to read about the love you have for your wife and your family. I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year. And a Happy Birthday to Custard too!

Jen said...

Rock Chef, you are a good man. You have a great and powerful heart that always seems to be full of kindness and cheer. Don't ever lose that about yourself.

Merry Christmas! Happy, happy birthday to Custard! There is nothing like the bond between man and dog. I don't know where I'd be without mine - though I might be a bit saner, my life would be boring!

I'll be waiting for next year's blogs. . . .

James said...

have a good Christmas John...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have everything you need for an awesome Christmas. Times spent together with family are often rare anymore. I wish you and your family the best.

Kiki said...

Happy Christmas RC, to you and your family...even sweet Custard!! This is a great list and I just realized that I have been focusing on what I haven't accomplished yet in preparation of Christmas...when I should be just focusing on what it really means to me!!!

I am so thankful that I found my way to you or you to me, your posts are always entertaining or comforting...I suppose that is the father in you...I hope ypur Christmas is Merry and Bright and we will see you and your videos int he New Year!!!

mr zig said...

Great Post! - Hm... never considered myself as sinister - but I like it! Sinister Mister Zig - it rings in my ears - sweet

Jenelle said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

tz said...

what a great thankful post...especially about your wife...I love hearing about people who ae still in love w/ their spouses and appreciate them!

Kate said...

Happy belated birthday Custard.